SAP Business One Professional has good features and flexibility overall, but is designed as an “old school” enterprise resource planning (ERP) platform. It may be too complex for many users especially small to midsize businesses (SMBs).
SAP SE is a venerable German software maker catering mainly to Global 1000 companies and specializing in cutting-edge databases, enterprise resource planning (ERP), and financial software, including general ledger accounting. SAP ERP (formerly SAP R3) is one of the most widely implemented ERP applications in the global marketplace and sticks to a traditional implementation path typically requiring extensive customization, multi-year implementation paths, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in consulting fees.
- Extensive customization is available.
- Underlying SAP HANA database allows for complex business analytics.
- Microsoft SQL Server is also available.
- Includes Crystal Reports for custom reporting.
- Can handle multiple currencies.
- Benefits administration module.
- Excellent documentation.
- Initial configuration and installation usually requires partner or expensive Value Added Reseller (VAR).
- Extensive customization is necessary.
- Only supports Mozilla Firefox browser; testing failed.
- Ancillary system applications such as HR have pared-down feature sets.